Armenia is a village that is largely inhabited by people who fled the civil unrest in Guatemala during the early 1980’s. Primarily a farming village, Armenians are warm and wonderful people, hard working people.
The smiles were contagious as the mothers received their lights, knowing that their children would no longer be forced to study by hot and flammable kerosene lamps.The distribution moved quickly as each family had the opportunity to come forward and receive their light. Many had words of thanks for those responsible for funding this life changing project.
Respiratory Illness is the number one cause of death in children under the age of 5 in these remote areas. Nearly 1000 people die every day because of kerosene being used for household lighting. From now on, people of the Village of Armenia will not be among those statistics.
The following morning the Village Chairman contacted the Grid Earth Project team to report how very happy he and his village were with their new lights. He was thrilled with amount of light they put off and the fact that they created no heat.